As the UK hosts its first Olympics since 1948 i know the whole nation has been sick—with Olympic fever! At In At The Side we have caught this pandemic as much as the next person, thus looking ahead to the induction of rugby sevens in the Rio games four years from now we thought we would come up with a potential 12 man squad for the games. The coaching team for the side will be made up of Ben Ryan and Russel Earnshaw due to their success in the abbreviated game with England. Let us know your thoughts!
- Matt Turner (England Sevens)
- Dan Norton (England Sevens)
- George North (Llanelli Scarlets and Wales)
- Tom Croft (Leicester Tigers and England)
- Chris Ashton (Saracens and England)
- Alex Goode (Saracens and England)
- Alex Cuthbert (Cardiff Blues and Wales)
- Christian Wade (London Wasps)
- Stuart Hogg (Edinburgh and Scotland)
- Manu Tuilagi (Leicester Tigers and England)
- Toby Faletau (Newport-Gwent Dragons and Wales)
- Danny Cipriani (Sale Sharks)
Whilst this squad is likely to cause endless debate, we have decided on these twelve players as the potential group to bring home gold. We have selected players based on age, sevens potential and proven sevens prowess. Cipriani is the controversial choice, but one cannot deny that the positive aspects he brings to the game could be very effective in rugby’s shortened form, whilst his weaknesses will be less exposed.