Flyhalf Handré Pollard will captain the South Africa Schools Rugby team in their final Under-18 International rugby Series match against England at the University of Western Cape Sports Stadium in Bellville on Saturday.
Pollard, a 2012 Junior World Championship winner with the Junior Springboks, as well as an In At The Side BNOC, takes over the leadership duties from prop Pierre Schoeman.
After shuffling their team with numerous changes for the team’s previous outing in George against Wales, the baby boks have chosen what is arguably the strongest line-up for the match against England.
A surprise selection choice in the SA Schools line-up is that of Outeniqua High fullback Warrick Gelant as midfield-partner of the strong running Rohan Janse van Rensburg. Gelant caught the eye with some dazzling play against Wales and his pairing with Janse van Rensburg bolsters the attacking power of an already exciting backline.
With Gelant now in the number 13 jersey it means a return to the fullback position for Jesse Kriel.
Pollard came on as a first half substitute against Wales and his introduction changed the course of the game because he was able to stamp his authority from the very first move he initiated.
England u18s schools will be looking to finish the two-week U18 Series on a positive note after their surprise defeat against France at Outeniqua Park on Tuesday.
The SA Schools team for Saturday versus England U18 is:
15. Jesse Kriel (Maritzburg College)
14. Sergeal Petersen (Grey PE)
13. Warrick Gelant (Outeniqua)
12. Rohan Janse van Rensburg (Waterkloof)
11. Duhan van der Merwe (Outeniqua)
10. Handre Pollard (Paarl Gym, captain)
9. Justin Phillips (Waterkloof)
8. Aidon Davis (HTS Daniel Pienaar)
7. Jean-Luc du Preez (Kearsney College)
6. Thabo Mabuza (Centurion)
5. Nicholas Janse van Rensburg (Affies, vice-captain)
4. John-Dave Schickerling (Paarl Gym)
3. Dayan van der Westhuizen (Centurion)
2. Malcolm Marx (King Edward)
1. Ox Nche (Louis Botha)
16. Chad Solomon (Paul Roos)
17. Pierre Schoeman (Affies)
18. Wilco Louw (HTS Drostdy)
19. Gideon Koegelenberg (Hugenote)
20. Akhona Sihunu (Dale College)
21. Ryno Eksteen (Affies)
22. Sandile Kubeka (Kearsney College)
23. Jano Venter (HTS Middelburg)
One comment on “Pollard To Lead South Africa Schools Rugby against England”
Pingback: BNOC – Big Name On Campus – ROSS MORIARTY | inattheside.com